
So, Chad came home one day from school awhile back saying that his teacher officially deemed him king of box tops (cash rewards for schools and found on packaged food items). You must know that Chad is gifted in finding these, he will spot one every time. Each class that gets an average of like 100 box tops per child gets an ice cream party, and Chad has been diligently doing his part. But after hearing that my child was "king," it got my thinking. Could we really be consuming that much more cereal and fruit snacks than the average population? Yes, yes we could. Perhaps we should scale back a bit on processed foods.
My lofty goal is to bake all of the snacks. Over the holidays, the kiddies and I tried out a few. Some recipes worked, others did not.
The Good:
Banana Bran Muffins (substituted 1/4 cup applesauce for the butter). The kids liked them, but both mentioned the need for chocolate chips. Chocolate is officially a health food, right? I've seen the research.
Buttery Soft Pretzels - new family favorite.
The Ugly:
Homemade tortillas - tortillas are just flour and water cooked on the stove, right? Wrong. I will gladly pay $3 for a bag of tortillas, well worth it.
If you have any favorite recipes for snacks and would like to share, send them my way. I would be ever so grateful.
6 comments:
Don't feel guilty for having lots of Box Tops. I look at it as my way of contributing money to my kids school. Not to mention, who doesn't love the Albertsons sales with all the Betty Crocker (aka Box Top carriers) snacks!
You should be proud, the other moms have bought just as many products with box tops, they are (ok I am) just not organized enough to actually cut them off the box and send them in to the school
We get a TON of box tops too. Don't feel guilty about that. I think its cool you did homemade microwave popcorn. Never heard of that one. We use the air popper. Its archaic and gets cool comments from the kids' friends like "why are you using that??? don't you have a microwave???"
Awesome! You are so great for trying out new recipes, I'll have to get this buttery soft pretzel recipe from you, sounds delicious!! As for homemade tortillas, we have done these for a few years (since my family can't have store bought ones) they aren't too bad to make, but we recently found that Costco has tortillas that you just have to cook up, and they are safe for my allergy ridden family too. :o) Now I don't have to go through the hassle of making them, it just makes me so happy :o)
Wow Julie - I got give it to you, you are a master chef. Perhaps you'll have to share your tortilla secrets with me sometime.
Oh, thank you all for making me feel better. And if you click on the recipe titles, it should pull up the recipes.
Post a Comment