Apparently, I have given a few bad gifts. My first misdeed was a Christmas gift to my sister's family: homemade marshmallow guns. Some knit homemade sweaters - I make marshmallow shooters (my craftiness is really diverse). I had imagined a warm and fuzzy moment with the fire going and all my nephews running around shooting marshmallows at each other. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe my sister was displeased with my generosity. She came home one day, to find marshmallows all over the house. And my clever nephews discovered how to make the guns even more useful - lick the marshmallows and then shoot them. When Jen took the tree down, she was still shaking sticky marshmallows out of it.
If this sounds like a good time, go here. And now that I think about it, goggles are probably a good idea.
My second offense was a birthday gift for Chad's friend, Bryce. I must say, Chad picked it out, I only paid for it. The gift: Hot Wheels Crash Dummies Golf Cart. When you crash the cart into something, it all comes apart - cart and dummy. Arms, legs, doors, the hood of the cart- everywhere. Parental involvement required. Really, I had no idea. So Wendy, (the child's mom) has informed me that it is now on - The Great Annual Find-the-most-annoying-gifts-for-our-children Event.
Should I apologize profusely or start my stockpile for next year? Let me know if you have any good ideas. And if my children are suddenly blacklisted from all the birthday parties, I'll at least understand why.
5 comments:
Seriously hilarious! I thought about getting my boys marshmallow shooters for the stockings, now I am glad I didn't. Tip for you other friend. When, my kids have toys that require constant attention, ie transformers, I have nothing to do with them from the start. When they need help with the toy, I simply say, "you have to ask Daddy" They think I don't know how and I am off the hook! Sometimes, I worry that I am setting a bad example that girls can't do as much as boys, then I remember that I don't have to spend 20 minutes changing the millennium falcon to Chewy and Han and then back again. (And neither does David because they have forgotten about it when he gets home.)
This is so funny. My husband and I seem to have the same luck with gifts. ha. Oh well. When my kids get gifts that needs too much supervison on my part I tell them that I can show them 3 times, if they still can't get it then I put it up until they are old enough. We do have a couple transformers around that Tag loves to much in whatever form or not form they may be in, and I change it when he is sleeping and I'm bored... ha.
The marshmallow shooters were a total hit with the kids! We love those kind of finds, I just think we will pull them out of the closet in the spring/summer to use outdoors at all the pesky wild cats in the neighborhood! That way the cats can eat the marshmallows and maybe get sick, I don't care! The kids will also bring them out to show Chad and Aubrey how to use them when we see you next! Ha! Really, don't feel too bad, they are in deep storage until those times.
That is so funny! I have never heard of a marshmallow gun. Understandably not so popular with the mom of the receiving child. :)
Okay you seriously crack me up! My brother has a marshmallow gun and lick and shoot marshmallows are the best apparently. I have given some pretty annoying gifts in the past, but hey then my kids can enjoy them when they go to their house and I don't have to be annoyed at my house!
Post a Comment