Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Birthday Wishes of a One Year Old

It was Sam's 1st birthday today. One year of joy! He is a very sweet baby, and the perfect addition to our family. Every birthday child gets to choose the events for the day (if the requests are reasonable), and if Sam could talk it would go something like this:

Eat
Acrobatics off the high chair
Swish in the toilet
Play in the dirt from the last remaining potted plant
Eat
Swish in the toilet
Climb the stairs
Nap
Eat
Play in dirt
Eat
Sleep

Because I find a few of these activities objectionable, we compromised. Instead of toilet water, he splashed in a clean bowl of water and bubbles:

* This activity had it's advantages. After using every last towel to wipe the floor, it sparkled! Just in time for the next event.

In lieu of playing in dirt, I let him eat dirt (chocolate dirt):

After a good bath, I think we both came out of this pretty happy.

8 comments:

Ju said...

happy birthday sam... you are so cute... and extremely messy... I bet that was a fun bath!

Bridget said...

So cute. I was hoping this post was today though and you had an April Fool's baby. Darn.

Melissa said...

When I had Sam, the nurse almost wrote down April 1st. James quickly corrected her. No fool's birthday for my baby!

Jessica said...

He is getting so big and is absolutely adorable! Happy B-day kiddo!

Aaron & Amanda said...

What a fun mom you are Missie! And Happy Birthday Sam!

Julie said...

You are one nice Mommy, and that does look like fun. Happy birthday to Sam - he is getting so grown up.

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Sam! I wish we could have been there, although I would have requested some non-dirt cake. It looks like he was in complete control of that one. He must love getting dirty. Most my kids at their one year party, started crying the instant the cake touched their toes! Maybe having it look like dirt helped the fear!

Sarah said...

You are one dedicated Mama! I would have never thought to try and make it so special for a little one. You are so creative and I love it! Sam is so darling!