Example #1: "Back in the '80's - they didn't make clocks, or electricity." I'm hoping he's referring to another century.
Example #2: "Did they make Laurel and Hardy movies when you were younger?"
Example #3: "It must be fun to be very old. Do you like being old?" What's with all the age comments? I've never had an age complex, but I'm beginning to think I should.
Example #4: When playing Scooby Doo, I asked if I could play Daphne. Chad's reply:"No mom, you're more like Velma." I suppose we both have brown hair and glasses, but does pretend play have to be so realistic? And just for the record, I would never wear an orange turtleneck.
Example #5: When Chad asked me if I wanted to play trains, I gracefully declined. He then asked: "What do you like to do for fun, clean?" Note to self: clean less, have more fun.
On the rare occasion that Chad does intend emotional harm, he draws me a picture, an angry picture.
Is that a heart crossed out? I especially like the tiny angry Chad head. I will tell you this, next time I'll think twice before asking him to clean his room.
5 comments:
If it makes you feel better, when Garrett was that age and mad at me, he would tell me "You're not pretty, Mom." He out grew that and moved onto, "You are not my friend." That was followed by, "You're not invited to my birthday party." (this lasted about 6 months and was nowhere near his Bday.) Now he has reverted back to crying or storming off to his room. Let me tell ya, being a mom is a real pick-me-up sometimes.
I know how you feel. That picture cracks me up though. At least he is communicating his feelings. And for the record I don't see any resemblance between you and Velma. I would be hurt by that too. All the age comments remind me of something Riley said. Once time Riley and Jeremy were eating and Riley says to Jeremy,
"Those are for old people like Pa! Pa is VERY VERY VEEEERRRY OLD!"
I hadn't thought I would care too much about getting old. I'm finding that I care quite a lot. I don't want to turn 30.
I hope you can look at these things and laugh! Someday, he will learn to say things that are intentional and might really hurt your feelings. Raising children is not an easy fun job, but there are lots of rewards! Just remember, less cleaning, more fun, that's something we can all use!
Those are so funny. I love that he thinks you like to clean for fun!
Oh Missie, I am still laughing about that post. My children call me "bummy" when they are mad at me, and even Jono does it sometimes now. So sad. Just for the record, I don't think not wanting to play trains means you are no fun - but I do hope that you are having some somehow.
Post a Comment