Monday, October 20, 2008

Observations of a 3 and 5-year-old

A few nights ago, while talking about our day, Chad informed us that one of the kindergartners got laid off. Let this be a lesson to you kindies, if you slack off, you might find yourself out of work. And let this be a lesson to myself, Chad is always listening.

On a crisp afternoon, out for a walk, I found myself explaining what happens to leaves in the fall. Aubrey asks, "Does it hurt?" Hmm, if leaves had sensory properties, it probably would.

While unloading the kiddies in a parking lot, a Harley Davidson rider pulled up next to us. Chad watched for a moment, then exclaimed "Look Mom, a real pirate!" It was said loud enough for our friendly rider to turn around. I pretended not to hear (really, how could I not have heard?), and found with great relief that he did not come back to strike up a conversation. But now that I think about it, safely in my own home, there were a lot of similarities: the boots, head wrapped in a bandana, black clothing, facial hair. I'm always intrigued to hear the observations of my children, but perhaps while in public, we can work on making them a little quieter.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so funny. Did Chad tell you why the kid got laid of of kindergarten?

Melissa said...

The reasons for termination are unknown, but apparently he did find a new position in the afternoon kindergarten.

Elizabeth Dimit said...

It's a competitive world out there in kindergarten-land!

When Alexis first saw Brother Cray in church with his eyepatch, she said, "Look, it's a pirate!" or something to that effect. It was pretty funny/embarrassing.